Old 06-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Quentin Harley

Default amd-64 with wine, jackbridge and wineasio

I have seen a comment by Dave Philips somewhere stating that he got an
amd 64 system running wine with wineasio and jackbridge. This is needed
to get something like Reaper working under linux.

I would like to get it going, because one of the guys I have to deal
with regularly uses Reaper, and at the moment I cannot use any of his
session files. I work in Ardour (obviously)

Anyone have experience setting this up on 64 Studio (amd 64)?

Quentin

Old 06-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Dave Phillips

Quentin Harley wrote:
> I have seen a comment by Dave Philips somewhere stating that he got an
> amd 64 system running wine with wineasio and jackbridge. This is needed
> to get something like Reaper working under linux.
>
> I would like to get it going, because one of the guys I have to deal
> with regularly uses Reaper, and at the moment I cannot use any of his
> session files. I work in Ardour (obviously)
>
> Anyone have experience setting this up on 64 Studio (amd 64)?
Actually, Alex Stone is the fellow who's been using the more modern
setup with jackbridge. I had used Reaper in 64 Studio without wineasio
or JACK, which meant not-so-hot realtime performance, but it was still
an impressive experience. I ran a 32-bit Wine I found in a bpo repo
(IIRC), with no chroot.

I continue to use Reaper with my students, but I run it on my JAD
machine (a 32-bit box).

Check the Reaper forums for Alex's great "voyage of discovery" thread.

Wine 1.0 continues to resist compiling under 64 Studio.

Best,

Dave Phillips

Old 06-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Quentin Harley

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Wine 1.0 continues to resist compiling under 64 Studio.

Hi Dave,

Do you have to recompile wine?
I have installed wine 1.0 from the following repository (for etch)

#WineHQ- Debian 4.0 "Etch"
deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/ etch main
#WineHQ- Debian 4.0 "Etch"
deb-src http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/ etch main

Cheers,
Quentin

Old 06-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Free Ekanayaka

Hi Dave,

|--==> Dave Phillips writes:

DP> Quentin Harley wrote:
>>I have seen a comment by Dave Philips somewhere stating that he got an
>>amd 64 system running wine with wineasio and jackbridge. This is needed
>>to get something like Reaper working under linux.
>>
>>I would like to get it going, because one of the guys I have to deal
>>with regularly uses Reaper, and at the moment I cannot use any of his
>>session files. I work in Ardour (obviously)
>>
>>Anyone have experience setting this up on 64 Studio (amd 64)?
DP> Actually, Alex Stone is the fellow who's been using the more modern
DP> setup with jackbridge. I had used Reaper in 64 Studio without wineasio
DP> or JACK, which meant not-so-hot realtime performance, but it was still
DP> an impressive experience. I ran a 32-bit Wine I found in a bpo repo
DP> (IIRC), with no chroot.

DP> I continue to use Reaper with my students, but I run it on my JAD
DP> machine (a 32-bit box).

DP> Check the Reaper forums for Alex's great "voyage of discovery" thread.

DP> Wine 1.0 continues to resist compiling under 64 Studio.

deb http://apt.64studio.com/backports etch-backports main

apt-get update && apt-get install wine

should get you a backported wine 1.0. It's probably time to include it
in the post-2.1 testing branch

Ciao,

Free

Old 06-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Quentin Harley

Free Ekanayaka wrote:
> deb http://apt.64studio.com/backports etch-backports main
>
> apt-get update && apt-get install wine
>
> should get you a backported wine 1.0. It's probably time to include it
> in the post-2.1 testing branch

Trying to compile wineasio: Running into trouble, with not much guidance.
What could be the trouble?

make
winegcc -shared wineasio.dll.spec -mnocygwin -o wineasio.dll.so asio.o
main.o regsvr.o -ljack -lodbc32 -lole32 -loleaut32 -lwinspool
-lwinmm -lpthread -luuid
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libjack.so when searching
for -ljack
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libjack.a when searching for
-ljack
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libjack.so when searching
for -ljack
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libjack.a when searching for
-ljack
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../../libjack.so when searching
for -ljack
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../../libjack.a when searching
for -ljack
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/bin/../lib/libjack.so when
searching for -ljack
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/bin/../lib/libjack.a when
searching for -ljack
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libjack.so when searching
for -ljack
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libjack.a when searching for
-ljack
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ljack
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
winegcc: gcc-3.4 failed
make: *** [wineasio.dll.so] Error 2

Cheers,
Quentin

Old 06-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Dave Phillips

Quentin Harley wrote:
> Free Ekanayaka wrote:
>> deb http://apt.64studio.com/backports etch-backports main
>>
>> apt-get update && apt-get install wine
>>
>> should get you a backported wine 1.0. It's probably time to include it
>> in the post-2.1 testing branch
>>

> Trying to compile wineasio: Running into trouble, with not much
> guidance.
> What could be the trouble?

I think you want to try wineasio-x, IIRC it builds with 64-bit Jack.

Best,

dp

Old 07-01-2008, 05:55 AM
Ralf Mardorf

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Quentin Harley wrote:
>
>> Free Ekanayaka wrote:
>>
>>> deb http://apt.64studio.com/backports etch-backports main
>>>
>>> apt-get update && apt-get install wine
>>>
>>> should get you a backported wine 1.0. It's probably time to include it
>>> in the post-2.1 testing branch
>>>

>> Trying to compile wineasio: Running into trouble, with not much
>> guidance.
>> What could be the trouble?
>>

> I think you want to try wineasio-x, IIRC it builds with 64-bit Jack.
>
> Best,
>
> dp

I also was thinking of 32 vs 64-bit version, but didn't know wineasio-x.
I didn't read the whole thread, but the first sentence: "Wer gerne auch
bei Linux zu 64Bit wechseln will und das wegen fehlender Unterstützung
durch Wineasio noch nicht gemacht hat, kann jetzt"
(http://homerecording.de/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=100098&forum=221)
This means that wineasio is for 32-bit, so a lot of people didn't change
to 64-bit for their DAWs before there was wineasio-x.

I'm short in time, I can read the whole thread tomorrow, I just can
translate the following analogous.

"Das Quellpaket muss selbst gebaut werden oder ihr probiert mein
Deb-Paket was ich unter Ubuntu
<http://homerecording.de/modules/dictionary/popup.php?id=548> gebaut
habe (unten verlinkt)
Die Quellen befinden sich hier wineasio-x.tar.gz
<http://people.jacklab.net/drumfix/wineasio-x.tgz>
Es benötigt die Header u.a von Wine und das Asio
<http://homerecording.de/modules/dictionary/popup.php?id=12>-SDK von
Steinberg. Die Pfade im Makefile müssen angepasst werden, sodass
wineasio.so.dll z.B. unter Ubuntu64 nach /usr/lib32/wine/ installiert
wird und jackbridge nach /usr/bin.
Ausserdem muss in der Build-Regel für die DLL "-ljack" rausgenommen
werden, sonst gibt es einen Fehler beim Build."

You have to bulid the source yourself, or try the Ubuntu one. Not really
this one, it's from 2005. You need headers from wine and Asio-SDK from
Steinberg. For Ubuntu he wrote, the paths has to be changed,
wineasio.so.dll should be installed in /usr/lib32/wine/ and jackbridge
to /usr/bin. To build the DLL don't use -ljack.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:04 AM
Ralf Mardorf

> For Ubuntu he wrote, the paths has to be changed,
> wineasio.so.dll should be installed in /usr/lib32/wine/ and jackbridge
> to /usr/bin.

Sorry for my bad translation. You have to change this in the makefile
(for Ubuntu, but maybe also for 64 Studio).

Old 07-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Quentin Harley

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Quentin Harley wrote:
>> Free Ekanayaka wrote:
>>> deb http://apt.64studio.com/backports etch-backports main
>>>
>>> apt-get update && apt-get install wine
>>>
>>> should get you a backported wine 1.0. It's probably time to include it
>>> in the post-2.1 testing branch
>>>

>> Trying to compile wineasio: Running into trouble, with not much
>> guidance.
>> What could be the trouble?
>>
> I think you want to try wineasio-x, IIRC it builds with 64-bit Jack.

Thanks Dave, that did it.

Running Reaper with Jack support via wine and jackbridge in 64 Studio,
on AMD64
Excellent!

Cheers,
Quentin