Old 06-20-2008, 04:26 PM
dave

Default Emacs22 on 64studio lenny

Hi all, hope you're well,

* 64studio_2.1_i386uk

http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/64studio.com/installer/

$ md5sum 64studio_2.1_i386.iso [ok]

Install date 20/06/2008
This document is meant for testers.
The install & upgrade were done on a test machine.
The aim is to get a balance between 64studio & emacs22.

Clean Install. Set up Audio.

nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/64studio.list
+ 64studio-stable etch+3rd party etch-security.
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
41 up 0 new 0 rm 3 not/up [y]

# nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/64studio.list
+ 64studio-testing.
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
1 up 0 new 0 rm 3 not/up [y] upgrade ardour.

nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/64studio.list
+ 64studio-lenny-backports... (no lenny yet, disable security).
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
5 up 0 new 0 rm 2 not/up [y]
5 64studio-upgrades... ardour/blender kept back.

Shutdown: restart.

nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/64studio.list
+ lenny + 3rd party repositories.
# apt-get update

# apt-get install ardour

114 up 55 new 46 rm 769 not/rm [y]

libc6 glibc [y]
Configuring libc6 [ok]
services & gdm [yes]
locales [ok]
Install ardour complete.....

# apt-get upgrade
586 up 0 new 0 rm 183 not/up [y]
# apt-get upgrade
Nothing to do

# apt-get dist-upgrade
181 up 140 new 19 rm 2 not/up
linux-image-2.6.24-1-486
# apt-get dist-upgrade
0 up 28 new 0 rm 2 not/up
# apt-get install gnome-core
# apt-get upgrade
Nothing to do.
Shutdown: restart.

Upgrade to lenny complete.

# apt-get update
# apt-get install emacs22 emacs22-el emacs22-common-non-dfsg

notes: 64studio, 64studio-apt, 64studio-skel, 64studio-themes,
64studio-utils,
bootsplash-theme-64studio 3.0~pre1 are still installed.

Keeping 64studio-packages and ardour in focus was my main target.
On one of these test runs using apt-get, ardour went silent.
Uninstall/Reinstall ardour at the completion of the upgrade fixed this.
The repositories must have been going through major changes last week,
upgrades and errors changed daily.
This upgrade went very smoothly,
* Upgrading to 64studio-lenny-backports, before adding lenny repo's
has kept all of the 64studio-packages installed without issues.
security/limits.conf had to be edited for jackd to run.
It's a shame to install over this upgrade, it's very nice,
but the 64studio-dvd is already in the machine and is installing.
Going to try the same approach using Synaptic this time.

Cheers,

dave.

ps.
It's good to see the 64studio forums page picking up,
Most users look for a distros forum page first,
and when their post requires it, are pointed to the user/devel lists.

Take care.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Jarom√≠r MikeŇ°

Hi Dave,

Thanks a lot for your great How-to ... It is clearing things a lot for me...
I was followed synaptic version and I had to switch into apt-get in the middle because some broken packages.
But anyway I have now lenny upgrades on both my machines... :-).
(This was solution on my debian-archive-keyring issue too)

d>Synaptic gave me the options to keep more configuration files.

I now I have to check this:

# edit /etc/security/limits.conf (jackd) add

@audio - rtprio 99
@audio - memlock 1024000
@audio - nice -19

Are there some others configurations files I should be aware if I want to have DAW with RT kernel?

Cheers

mirami

Old 06-23-2008, 03:44 AM
dave

Hi mirami,

Good to see you got your system how you wanted :-)
Are you going to keep both computers the same?
Why not keep one with the default 64studio and upgrade
naturally as it moves to 3.0.?
Three installs here;
1. 64studio 2.0 upgraded to 2.1. upgrading to 3.0.
2. 64studio 2.1 install, still at stable. (64studio).
3. My Test 2.1 disk. (my hobby).

The difference between apt & synaptic upgrades is "massive".
To upgrade to lenny using synaptic,
without keeping 64studio and ardour in mind is very hard.
The "debian-archive-keyring" issue.
I also hit "libpam0g" errors, but no one else has even mentioned it?
The libpam0g error only shows when using synaptic?
The latest for me is a "gs-common" error. It's a show stopper...
I get no errors with apt or synaptic using the 64studio/ardour target.

You will have to reinstall cupsys, if you use it.
Gimp printing will hold back, so be careful.
Gimp printing always lives on the edge.
Wine also "might" have been removed, and you wont be able to install
wine-dev.
edit /etc/security/limits.conf
Gives me back jackd, ardour/rosegarden.
The upgrade will have re-configured qjackctl and un-ticked the rt-box,
and reset qjackctl. Set them back to your normal settings.
Many straight upgrades to lenny have been difficult here,
Targeting ardour is the only method working here at this time.

Cheers,

dave.