Old 06-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Jaromír Mikeš

Default error message

Hi Gustin,

| sudo aptitude purge debian-archive-keyring && sudo aptitude install
| debian-archive-keyring
|
| But message in terminal warned me that I am doing something very
| dangerous.. Uninstalling some very essential packages. I aborted this
| process.

What is the exact message?

I've got this message:

WARNING: Performing this action will probably will cause your system to break!
Do NOT continue unless you know EXACTLY what you are doiing!
To continue type the phraze "I am aware that this is very bad idea".

I've never saw something like this...

Cheers

mirami

Old 06-18-2008, 01:06 AM
Jaromír Mikeš

Hi Gustin,

g>I would also be interested in seeing what repositories you have enabled.

That is strange...
I am sure I had "debian etch main" and "degian security" enabled in Synaptic, but in my /etc/apt/sources.list file are only "lenny main" and "lenny backports"

I was checking this on my PC too... and there is the same....etch main and debian security enabled in Synaptic, but only lenny main and lenny backports in my /etc/apt/sources.list file.

Is it normal?

Thanks for help

mirami

Old 06-18-2008, 01:06 AM
Jaromír Mikeš

Hi Dave,

Hope you are well,

d>Is what gets used the most on upgrades here.
d>With your graphics resolution, you were having trouble with "1280x1024".
d>Can you get "1152x864"?

I just checked this resolution on my PC, it is not supported... :-(

Cheers

mirami

Old 06-18-2008, 01:17 AM
Jaromír Mikeš

Hi Gustin,

I've just found out that there is also /etc/apt/sources.list.d/64studio.list file where are these repositories enabled...

Hope this file working for apt-get and aptitude too, not just for synaptic...

mirami

Old 06-18-2008, 02:01 AM
Jaromír Mikeš

Hi Gustin,

# dpkg-reconfigure debian-archive-keyring ...went well without errors... but without changes

result:
proccesed 4
unchanged 4

I've again tried run "sudo aptitude purge debian-archive-keyring && sudo aptitude install debian-archive-keyring"

And together with this message:

WARNING: Performing this action will probably will cause your system to break!
Do NOT continue unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing!
To continue type the phrase "I am aware that this is very bad idea".

there was also this warning:

The following ESSENTIAL packages will be REMOVED!
apt

and before it message:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
aptitude{a} ... and list of others packages

Should I try this command despite of that? No apt no aptitude after this command...

BTW: what does it mean {a} ? and some packages had also {u} attribute

Cheers

mirami

Old 06-18-2008, 03:46 AM
Gustin Johnson

Old 06-18-2008, 04:04 AM
Gustin Johnson

I would not follow through with this. Aptitude can be handy but you
have to know when to tame it (it can be too aggressive when removing
dependencies.

What version do you have installed? (aptitude show
debian-archive-keyring)? Compare the version numbers with the ones at
http://packages.debian.org
Which one is actually installed?

At moments like these I tend to remove or comment out repositories that
are not needed and go back to the base system, in this case 64studio and
maybe the version of debian it is based on.

When you get your system stable (either by apt massaging or a clean
reinstall), have a look at this document:
http://wiki.debian.org/AptPinning

Actually, now is also a good time to read it. It should help to explain
what is going on.

Finally, I have yet to be happy with any of the GUI front ends to apt.
Maybe I am getting set in my ways, but this also means I am not sure how
they work. Running an apt-get update or and aptitude update should show
you all the sources that you are pulling info from. Remove or comment
out all the sources that are not part of the base install, and then work
from there. I know I have said it a couple of times, but get to know
and love http://wiki.debian.org/AptPinning , it will make your life much
easier in the future.

Hth,

Old 06-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Jaromír Mikeš

Hi Gustin,

thanks for your help ... a lot of new things for me.... great links

g>What version do you have installed? (aptitude show debian-archive-keyring)?

I have no Desktop now :-( ... using only system terminal on my notebook [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[F1]

I don't know how find out debian-archive-keyring version... Sorry, I am still quite new in Linux...

I've comment out all repos... Left just lenny-main.

g>When you get your system stable (either by apt massaging or a clean reinstall) ....

Actually this is my second attempt on this machine to get lenny upgrade... (first was not from clean install)
First time I've ended on same point .... debian-archive-keyring .... :-(

Cheers

mirami

Old 06-18-2008, 12:29 PM
dave

Jarom*r Mikeš wrote:
> Hi Gustin,
>
> thanks for your help ... a lot of new things for me.... great links
>
> g>What version do you have installed? (aptitude show debian-archive-keyring)?
>
> I have no Desktop now :-( ... using only system terminal on my notebook [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[F1]
>
> I don't know how find out debian-archive-keyring version... Sorry, I am still quite new in Linux...
>
> I've comment out all repos... Left just lenny-main.
>
> g>When you get your system stable (either by apt massaging or a clean reinstall) ....
>
> Actually this is my second attempt on this machine to get lenny upgrade... (first was not from clean install)
> First time I've ended on same point .... debian-archive-keyring .... :-(
>
> Cheers
>
> mirami

Hi mirami Hi Gustin,

Error: debian-archive-keyring

aptitude purge debian-archive-keyring &&
aptitude install debian-archive-keyring

When I ran this command from a clean
lenny upgrade/64studio-lenny-back-ports
upgrade it wanted to remove 64studio and many other packages.

[q] [quit] dropped back to the command prompt
and asked if I wanted to upgrade debian-archive-keyring!
[y] allowed the upgrade to continue.

Cheers,
dave.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:20 PM
Jaromír Mikeš

Hi Dave,

Thanks for help.. but this not working on my machine... after [q] my terminal offers nothing... :-(

d>aptitude purge debian-archive-keyring &&
d>aptitude install debian-archive-keyring

d>When I ran this command from a clean
d>lenny upgrade/64studio-lenny-back-ports
d>upgrade it wanted to remove 64studio and many other packages.

d>[q] [quit] dropped back to the command prompt
d>and asked if I wanted to upgrade debian-archive-keyring!
d>[y] allowed the upgrade to continue.

Cheers

mirami