Old 06-13-2008, 12:55 AM
"R.Wolff"

Default Installing 2.1.i386 "A Minha Menina" - Mega smooth, most painless install ever.

Hi Daniel, Free

Congratulations for what looks like a very solid release. This one has been the
smoothest install procedure I ever had with 64 Studio or other distros.

Installed without the slightest hickup on my admittedly aging hardware/multiboot
env. (WinXP Pro Audio Optimized, 64 Studio testbed for experimenting, and now
2.1 final for getting to work ):

ASRock K7NF2-RAID, Athlon XP 2200+, 2 GB Corsair DDR400 Dual-Channel RAM,
Creative SB!Live 5.1 for system sounds, internet radio and the like (snd.emu10k1
index=0), M-Audio Delta 1010LT for serious audio work (snd-ice1712 index=1),
Behringer BCR2000 MIDI Controller (snd-usb-audio index=2).
5 hdd's - 3x80 GB ATA, 2x160 GB SATA, DVD-RW/RAM, 2x USB drives (2+4 GB),
Printer Epson D88, Digital Camera Samsung S750, Logitech Y-RB6 wireless kbd +
Cordless MouseMan Wheel. Only my scanner (gt680x - usually just working fine)
gives me some problems. But I guess it's dying on me. It's become a troublemaker
under any OS a few weeks ago.

I have successfully installed 'nvidia-glx' and dep. packages for my 'GF-6600
LE', rebooted, replaced xorg.conf with my personal modified one, restarted X,
and voilą, nice and fast graphics.

I have already removed a couple of packages I don't personally need like all
things bluetooth, network-manager, acpi & apm, and quite some others. And this
time synaptic didn't want to remove any other packages like 64-studio,
gnome-core and other vital OS stuff. Wow, looks really promising.

I haven't had the time yet to test many apps, but I'm sure they'll just hum
along. The system feels really fast and snappy.
So once I've installed 'ntfs-3g' again to regain access to my samples and
projects drives, I'll be testing the creative stuff.

So to summarize:
many thanks for this little gem that is 64 Studio. You've all done a wonderful
job testing apps and putting together some of the finest creative tools to be
found in linux-land. And I'd like to stress out the wisdom of NOT going
bleeding-edge, but instead focus on STABILITY and USEABILITY. Works a treat for
me. At least this way you get the jobs done.

So, keep packaging, managing and adding new exciting stuff to the next release.
I'm just totally in awe of you guys, when I see what's possible with todays
software.

All the best,

Raphael