Old 06-04-2008, 07:51 AM
dave

Default update 2 upgrade lenny i386

Hi all,

http://lists.64studio.com/pipermail/64studio-devel/2008-May/005693.html

1: synaptic
This is with a clean install...2.1rc..upgraded to 64studio testing.
If you upgrade 2.1rc, you will get a clean upgrade, wine will need
re-upgrade on completion.
You may not have a clean install? and this can make a big difference.
Up to the release below the etch/builds upgraded the same as the 2.1rc.
I have followed the method half a dozen times now, The first try gave
problems,
The rest were fine, You have to follow Free's instruction to the letter.
If you dont remove non-free sources / 3rd party repositories
The upgrade gets more difficult.

2: synaptic
This release is the move back to Audacity 1.3.3-1
(64studio_master_i386.iso 28-May-2008 14:46 798M)
I don't know why but the upgrade changed with this etch/build.
(libpam0g) gave errors. It stops synaptic, and you can't continue.
I closed synaptic, opened a terminal and ran
#apt-get -f install
and then restarted synaptic to complete the upgrade. which it did.

Sources used for upgrade:

deb http://apt.64studio.com/64studio/stable/ 64studio main
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main
deb http://apt.64studio.com/64studio/testing/ 64studio main
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ lenny main

Once the upgrade is complete.. these had been removed so:

Re-install metacity and gnome-core while still in synaptic

Re-enable etch and lenny "security sources"...

tim wrote: apply upgrade more than once,
so I went to went to a terminal apt-get update/upgrade confirmed all was ok.

# edit /etc/security/limits.conf (add these to end of file).

* - rtprio 99
* - nice -10
* - memlock 4000000

I have left sound config Envy24control and qjackctl at 44100kHz, (I
normally use 48000kHz)
after a restart qjackctl starts and runs fine.

$ dpkg -l |grep "jackd"

jackd = 0.109.2-3

note:
Ardour has been removed, I can get this from sid, or wait for Free's
lenny backport.
I get errors with qsynth as the upgrade completes but the errors don't
stop future updates/upgrades.

.....Day 2.....
* Notes i386 apt-get lenny

Using synaptic to upgrade etch/builds to lenny changed with this release
(64studio_master_i386.iso 28-May-2008 14:46 798M) (audacity 1.3.3-1~etch1).
*(libpam0g)* gave errors. I closed synaptic, opened a terminal and ran
#apt-get -f install
and then restarted synaptic to complete the upgrade.

Susan wrote: (There is evidently a bug if you switch between
synaptic and apt, sorry I can't remember the details
that my friend patiently explained to me.)
Susan...

This upgrade I am going to try apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade

Clean install (64studio_master_i386 28-May-2008 14:46).

Restart: [ctrl] + [alt] + [f1] login as root:
set hostname | add lenny main to sources
"removed" non-free sources / 3rd party repositories
Restart: login to Desktop
Logout: [ctrl] + [alt] + [f1] login as root:
# init 3
# /etc/init.d/gdm stop
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
130 upgraded 0 new 0 removed 768 not upgraded
need to get 140MB [y]
# apt-get update
# apt-get dist-upgrade
736 upgraded 211 new 36 removed 2 not upgraded
need to get 634MB [y] takes 20m22s
*errors libwine_1.0-rc1-1_i386.deb
# apt-get -f install [y]
*errors libwine_1.0-rc1-1_i386.deb
*errors wine-bin_1.0-rc1-1_i386.deb
# apt-get -f install [y]
dist-upgrade completes

tim wrote: dist-upgrade more that once!

# apt-get update
# apt-get dist-upgrade
632 upgraded 168 new 17 removed 2 not upgraded
need to get 0MB [y]
*errors qsynth_0.2.5-2.2_i386.deb
# apt-get dist-upgrade
1 upgraded 0 new 0 removed 2 not upgraded
*errors qsynth_0.2.5-2.2_i386.deb
# apt-get remove --purge qsynth
# apt-get dist-upgrade
0 upgraded 0 new 0 removed 2 not upgraded
All Done.....

notes: no (libpam0g) errors with apt-get method

Restart: login to Desktop
Logout: [ctrl] + [alt] + [f1] login as root:
NVIDIA install needs gcc
# apt-get install gcc
# init 3
# /etc/init.d/gdm stop
# sh NVIDIA.run
# edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (change "nv" to "nvidia")
Restart: nvidia ok

Login to Desktop
"Re-enable" non-free sources / 3rd party repositories
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
10 upgraded 0 new 0 removed 2 not upgraded [y]
"Re-enable" security sources etch & lenny
# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-get clean
# apt-get autoclean
All Done.....
$ dpkg -l | grep "jackd"
jackd = 0.109.2-3
wine = 1.0-rc1-1

I will have to look over the install to see what will have to be
reinstalled.

Cheers,

dave.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:02 AM
dave

Hi all,

.....Day 3.....
(64studio_master_i386.iso 28-May-2008 14:46 798M) (audacity 1.3.3-1~etch1).

Susan wrote: (There is evidently a bug if you switch between
synaptic and apt).....

If you stay with synaptic OR apt the upgrade is fine.
My first impression confirms the apt/synaptic bug.
The Image change was not relevant to the upgrade problems I saw with the
first synaptic upgrade.
Mixing synaptic and apt was the problem.

# cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/64studio.list
# Stable 64 Studio repository
deb http://apt.64studio.com/64studio/stable/ 64studio main

# Debian
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free

# Debian Sid
# deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free

# Security updates
deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main
deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib

# Bleeding edge 64 Studio repository, only for testers!
deb http://apt.64studio.com/64studio/testing/ 64studio main
deb-src http://apt.64studio.com/64studio/testing/ 64studio main

# Backports repository, needed to get -dev packages
deb http://apt.64studio.com/backports/ etch-backports main

# apt-get install qsynth
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/qsynth_0.2.5-2.2_i386.deb
(--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/share/applications/qsynth.desktop', which is
also in package 64studio-themes
# apt-get remove --purge 64studio-themes
The following packages will be REMOVED
64studio* 64studio-themes*
# apt-get install qsynth
Setting up qsynth (0.2.5-2.2) ...
OK!
New Theme
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Overglossed?content=74813

$ cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

title 64studio, kernel 2.6.21-1-multimedia-486
title 64studio, kernel 2.6.24-1-486

jackd = 0.109.2-3 (48000kHz)
wine = 1.0-rc1-1
rosegarden = 1.7.0