Old 06-04-2008, 03:35 AM
Susan Dridi

Default Upgrade and Kept Back Packages

Hi All,

I did an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade tonight and got the message:

aeolus ardour blender

I don't use synaptic, so I don't think that's the problem. (There is
evidently a bug if you switch between synaptic and apt, sorry I can't
remember the details that my friend patiently explained to me.)

Is there something wrong with my sources.list.d/64studio.list file?

I'm trying to keep a straight 64 Studio "testing" on my machine, the
only other things I've brought in were the codecs from
debian-multimedia, and Apache, MySQL and a few Perl modules from Etch.

Btw, if I'm getting the codecs from debian-multimedia, don't I need to
include that line when I upgrade? The packages from etch will be covered
by the security updates, so I comment the regular etch line out.

As an aside, I'm thinking that for those of use who are used to using
apt instead of synaptic, it might be helpful to put up a page explaining
the differences with Debian, which just uses /etc/apt/sources.list
instead of the other files.

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/64studio.list
# Stable 64 Studio repository
#deb http://apt.64studio.com/64studio/stable 64studio main

# Debian etch
#deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

# Security updates
deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main

# Bleeding edge 64 Studio repository, only for testers!
deb http://apt.64studio.com/64studio/testing 64studio main

# Backports repository, needed to get -dev packages
deb http://apt.64studio.com/backports etch-backports main

# Debian Multimedia
#deb http://debian.dc-uoit.net/debian-multimedia/ stable main

The only other package I need is iTetris

Thanks very much!

-Susan

P.S. - I'm happy to say that my bass playing seems to have magically
jumped a notch in the last week. I love when that happens. I've only
been playing for two years, so I'm still dealing with some beginner
frustrations, but not so many anymore. Well, I'm lucky to have the
support of a great teacher and a great musical community, including you
wonderful people at 64 Studio!

Old 06-04-2008, 11:39 AM
dave

Hi Susan,

Susan Dridi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I did an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade tonight and got the message:
>
> The following packages have been kept back:
> aeolus ardour blender

I am using "i386".
The 64studio here, the one I keep at 64studio testing,
is keeping these back.
blender flac gigedit
if I type in a terminal
# dpkg -l | grep "ardour"
ardour = 2.4.1-1~etch1
are you on the same version?
even if I enable 64studio backports, I have no ardour on hold.
> I don't use synaptic, so I don't think that's the problem. (There is
> evidently a bug if you switch between synaptic and apt, sorry I can't
> remember the details that my friend patiently explained to me.)

Thank you for this info, I am going to google to find out more.
The upgrade to lenny I did this morning (on a testing disk)
was much better when I didn't touch synaptic.
I am going to have to find out about this bug

> Is there something wrong with my sources.list.d/64studio.list file?
>
> I'm trying to keep a straight 64 Studio "testing" on my machine, the
> only other things I've brought in were the codecs from
> debian-multimedia, and Apache, MySQL and a few Perl modules from Etch.
>
> Btw, if I'm getting the codecs from debian-multimedia, don't I need to
> include that line when I upgrade? The packages from etch will be covered
> by the security updates, so I comment the regular etch line out.
>
> As an aside, I'm thinking that for those of use who are used to using
> apt instead of synaptic, it might be helpful to put up a page explaining
> the differences with Debian, which just uses /etc/apt/sources.list
> instead of the other files.
>
> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/64studio.list
> # Stable 64 Studio repository
> #deb http://apt.64studio.com/64studio/stable 64studio main
>
> # Debian etch
> #deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
>
> # Security updates
> deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main
>
> # Bleeding edge 64 Studio repository, only for testers!
> deb http://apt.64studio.com/64studio/testing 64studio main
>
> # Backports repository, needed to get -dev packages
> deb http://apt.64studio.com/backports etch-backports main
>
> # Debian Multimedia
> #deb http://debian.dc-uoit.net/debian-multimedia/ stable main

This is how I keep my sources configured,
I check for update/upgrades, from 64studio.
Then enable etch to see what's available.
I only enable 64studio backports if there is something I need.

#deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free

deb-src http://apt.64studio.com/64studio/testing/ 64studio main

#deb http://apt.64studio.com/backports/ etch-backports main

# deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ stable main

> The only other package I need is iTetris
>
> Thanks very much!
>
> -Susan
>
> P.S. - I'm happy to say that my bass playing seems to have magically
> jumped a notch in the last week. I love when that happens. I've only
> been playing for two years, so I'm still dealing with some beginner
> frustrations, but not so many anymore. Well, I'm lucky to have the
> support of a great teacher and a great musical community, including you
> wonderful people at 64 Studio!

It sounds to me like your bass playing is jumping,
leaps and bounds because you love to play and practice often.
Guitar is my instrument (been playing 40 years)
"did I just type that"?
A good teacher is a real plus. Hand conditioning is at the heart
of good playing. Checkout chromatic scales to strengthen your hands.

Sorry I couldn't help more with ardour,
I mainly wanted to thank you for the apt/synaptic info.
Someone will no doubt be along shortly, to help with ardour/packages.

Cheers,

dave. :-)

Old 06-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Susan Dridi

Hi Dave and All,

dave wrote:
> Hi Susan,
>
> Susan Dridi wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I did an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade tonight and got the message:
>>
>> The following packages have been kept back:
>> aeolus ardour blender
>>

> I am using "i386".
> The 64studio here, the one I keep at 64studio testing,
> is keeping these back.
> blender flac gigedit
> if I type in a terminal
> # dpkg -l | grep "ardour"
> ardour = 2.4.1-1~etch1
> are you on the same version?

I forgot to say, I'm using the 64 bit version of 64 Studio 2.1. I
installed 2.0 and then upgraded to 2.1.

$sudo dpkg -l | grep "ardour"

2.0.3-2~bpo.1

$sudo dpkg -l | grep "blender"

2.42a-4.64studio1

$sudo dpkg -l | grep "aeolus"

0.6.6+2-4~bpo.1

When I do apt-cache show ardour, I see:

Version: 1:2.4.1-1~etch1
Conflicts: ardour-gtk

> even if I enable 64studio backports, I have no ardour on hold.
>> I don't use synaptic, so I don't think that's the problem. (There is
>> evidently a bug if you switch between synaptic and apt, sorry I can't
>> remember the details that my friend patiently explained to me.)
>>

> Thank you for this info, I am going to google to find out more.
> The upgrade to lenny I did this morning (on a testing disk)
> was much better when I didn't touch synaptic.
> I am going to have to find out about this bug

I just wanted to clarify. If you just use apt or if you just use
synaptic, there is no problem. The problem apparently happens when you
switch from using synaptic to apt. I'm really sorry, I don't have any
more details. I think my friend was going to file a bug report.

Cheers!

-Susan

Old 06-05-2008, 06:00 PM
dave

Hi Susan,

Susan Dridi wrote:
> Hi Dave and All,
>
> dave wrote:
>
>> Hi Susan,
>>
>> Susan Dridi wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I did an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade tonight and got the message:
>>>
>>> The following packages have been kept back:
>>> aeolus ardour blender
>>>

>> I am using "i386".
>> The 64studio here, the one I keep at 64studio testing,
>> is keeping these back.
>> blender flac gigedit
>> if I type in a terminal
>> # dpkg -l | grep "ardour"
>> ardour = 2.4.1-1~etch1
>> are you on the same version?
>>

> I forgot to say, I'm using the 64 bit version of 64 Studio 2.1. I
> installed 2.0 and then upgraded to 2.1.
>
> $sudo dpkg -l | grep "ardour"
>
> 2.0.3-2~bpo.1
>
> $sudo dpkg -l | grep "blender"
>
> 2.42a-4.64studio1
>
> $sudo dpkg -l | grep "aeolus"
>
> 0.6.6+2-4~bpo.1
>
> When I do apt-cache show ardour, I see:
>
> Version: 1:2.4.1-1~etch1
> Conflicts: ardour-gtk

I remember doing this update/upgrade quite some time back.
Browse down to "Hows that for speed" posted by Daniel.
I'm not sure about using this with 2.0 to 2.1 and I don't want
you to break your system. Maybe this explains your Ardour on hold?
I would just wait!
http://www.64studio.com/node/417
I'm not sure. Just something to think about.
I still have a 2.0 install I've upgraded, I will check it out.

>> even if I enable 64studio backports, I have no ardour on hold.
>>
>>> I don't use synaptic, so I don't think that's the problem. (There is
>>> evidently a bug if you switch between synaptic and apt, sorry I can't
>>> remember the details that my friend patiently explained to me.)
>>>

>> Thank you for this info, I am going to google to find out more.
>> The upgrade to lenny I did this morning (on a testing disk)
>> was much better when I didn't touch synaptic.
>> I am going to have to find out about this bug
>>

> I just wanted to clarify. If you just use apt or if you just use
> synaptic, there is no problem. The problem apparently happens when you
> switch from using synaptic to apt. I'm really sorry, I don't have any
> more details. I think my friend was going to file a bug report.
>
> Cheers!
>
> -Susan

apt/synaptic bug:
This tip you gave is important,
I always used apt-get to remove the software I don,t use

Like this in a terminal: type

$ dpkg --get-selections > software1
and again
$ dpkg --get-selections > software2

This will create 2 files in your home directory
software1
software2
These list the software installed, leave software1 alone.

# grep "iceweasel" software2
# grep "blue" software2
# grep "bluetooth" software2
etc.,etc., only you know what is not needed.

# apt-get remove --purge (not needed software)

Watch very carefully for shared libs and others apt might try to remove.
This method will also keep a .bash_history of the software you have removed.

$ dpkg --get-selections > software2
again will update the file minus the software removed.

Sometimes I use synaptic to remove the software,
and enable/disable repositories, before going back to apt.

So I was going back and forth a lot!
Your post explains a lot.
I still keep browsing for info on the bug, but all I find are apt bugs &
synaptic bugs.
I will keep looking.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
dave.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:01 PM
dave

Hi Susan,

dave wrote:
> Hi Susan,
>

> Susan Dridi wrote:
>
>> Hi Dave and All,
>>
>> dave wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Susan,

>>> I am using "i386".
>>> The 64studio here, the one I keep at 64studio testing,
>>> is keeping these back.
>>> blender flac gigedit
>>> if I type in a terminal
>>> # dpkg -l | grep "ardour"
>>> ardour = 2.4.1-1~etch1
>>> are you on the same version?
>>>

>> I forgot to say, I'm using the 64 bit version of 64 Studio 2.1. I
>> installed 2.0 and then upgraded to 2.1.
>>
>> $sudo dpkg -l | grep "ardour"
>>
>> 2.0.3-2~bpo.1
>>
>> $sudo dpkg -l | grep "blender"
>>
>> 2.42a-4.64studio1
>>
>> $sudo dpkg -l | grep "aeolus"
>>
>> 0.6.6+2-4~bpo.1
>>
>> When I do apt-cache show ardour, I see:
>>
>> Version: 1:2.4.1-1~etch1
>> Conflicts: ardour-gtk

This is the oldest install of 64studio I have.

menu-list 64s2du1,21rc2,hda2, 2.6.21-1-multimedia-486

= 64studio_2.0 up to to 2.1rc up to 2.1rc2 on pentium4

In the bash_history I find this entry

# apt-get remove 64studio 64studio-utils 64studio-tasksel-data tasksel
tasksel-data
# apt-get install 64studio tasksel

Hangs on completion of upgrade.

So this is 2.0 upgraded to 2.1rc2 update/upgraded todate.

$ dpkg -l | grep "ardour"

ardour = 2.4.1-1~etch1

I'm on with backing it up now.
I could just reinstall,
but I will run it through upgrade first as a test.

If you didn't do this upgrade,
I think this is why you have packages on hold.

Cheers,

dave.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Daniel James

Hi Susan,

> I forgot to say, I'm using the 64 bit version of 64 Studio 2.1. I
> installed 2.0 and then upgraded to 2.1.

> When I do apt-cache show ardour, I see:
>
> Version: 1:2.4.1-1~etch1
> Conflicts: ardour-gtk

If you have ardour-gtk installed, you should remove that first. That's a
legacy Ardour 0.99 package. If not, then there's a reference to
ardour-gtk in one of your apt sources that you need to comment out.

I suggest updating exclusively against one of our new apt mirrors,
listed here:

http://www.64studio.com/upgrade

Synaptic may prompt that it needs to change your fftw3 package when
upgrading from Ardour 2.0 to Ardour 2.4.

Cheers!

Daniel